Senior CG Character Effects Artist – Vancouver
Atomic Cartoons Inc. is an award-winning animation studio with locations in Vancouver’s Mt. Pleasant Animation District and Ottawa’s Hintonburg neighborhood. Since its inception 20 years ago, Atomic Cartoons has created, produced and financed numerous animation productions. This is a great opportunity to join our CG team in Vancouver!
SENIOR CG CHARACTER EFFECTS ARTIST
We are looking for a Senior CG Character Effects Artist to join our team and assist in the development and implementation of a new cloth, hair and fur department for our CG Productions.
What You’ll Do:
- Create and tailor digital costumes and comb and groom hair and fur for digital characters and creatures.
- Produce cloth, hair, and fur simulations, as well as any needed tech animation and cleanup for shot work in production.
- Creatively work to achieve art direction for a shot, while troubleshooting and providing revisions based on supervisor and/or client feedback.
- Optimize and deliver simulated geometry to the production pipeline for further processing.
- Work with our team to develop techniques and workflows to ensure that simulated geometry will integrate into production pipelines.
- Meet production deadlines and maintain regular communication with the production team.
- Mentor junior artists in the overall production workflow and best practices.
- Assist our DFX Supervisor in the development of the overall simulations pipeline.
What We’re Looking For:
- Strong knowledge of Maya and Houdini preferred.
- Strong knowledge in nCloth, nHair, xGen, Qualoth, Ornatrix, and/or other simulation systems.
- Thorough understanding of simulation techniques and technologies relating to effects
- Working knowledge of RenderMan or other ray-based render engines.
- Basic understanding of rigging, modeling and geometry deformers.
- Familiarity with various operating systems (e.g. Linux, Windows).
- Ability to create scripts with MEL, VEX, Python, basic C Shell scripting, Perl, C++ and development of tools considered an asset.
- Ability to remain flexible and adaptable to meet the changing needs of development and production.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- BC residents preferred, must be able to work in-house at our Vancouver studio
Start Date: ASAP