Business and Legal Affairs – Thunderbird
Thunderbird Entertainment Inc. is a rapidly growing Vancouver-based TV and film production company with satellite offices in LA, Toronto and London. We are searching for an exceptional individual to provide business affairs, legal and strategic support for our Vancouver offices on day to day television production and distribution matters, as well as strategic and practical support for ongoing corporate expansion both at home and internationally. Minimum 5 years of business and legal affairs experience at a television broadcaster, independent production company and/or major law firm. Title and salary commensurate with experience. Please send your CV to email@example.com
Help strategize and execute on all business affairs matters for development, production, post production, sales, distribution, and service of all entertainment and business endeavors of the Company. Negotiate and draft talent agreements, producer agreements, rights agreements, co-finance agreements and other agreements in connection with the development and production of all entertainment based television and digital properties. Handle above and below the line guild issues.
Create and administer legal processes and best practices for the Company. Work with outside counsel handling production legal, litigation, copyright and trademark, music, and rights and clearance matters. Handle other general business and legal affairs matters typically required of an independent production studio.
- Handle the negotiation, drafting, and closing of all entertainment-related deals and business relationships; including deals to acquire and develop television or digital properties in all genres including animation, live action, and hybrid films; co-production deals, distribution deals, output deals, first look deals, all development and production talent agreements, and all other agreements for the ancillary exploitation of intellectual property.
- Perform other day-to-day business affairs-related tasks as needed and requested by other members of the executive team
- Ensure the Company’s compliance with its’ own policies, third party agreements and applicable laws and regulations.
- Structure, negotiate and draft complex deals and agreements involving the development, acquisition and production of television programs (including scripted series and unscripted/reality series, along with marketing, promotional and sales agreements).
- Work closely with the Company’s management team on the development, production, negotiation and drafting of agreements and financing applications involving the development, acquisition and production of content intended for initial distribution via the Internet.
- Act as a liaison between the Company’s creative executives and the creative community (i.e., talent agencies, talent managers, entertainment law firms, studios and production companies).
- Advise executive team on strategic and complex business structures, risk matters, legal compliance, labor/guild issues and the use of the Company’s intellectual property.
- Working with the Company’s outside counsel to maintain and update terms agreements, corporate best practices and remain up to speed on applicable financing and regulatory issues as they relate to Company’s interests.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Must have experience and knowledge of current business affairs environment and practices in both independent television in North America, as well as internationally. Must be knowledgeable of Canadian television environment, including CMF, Telefilm co-production treaties and broadcaster licence agreements.
Excellent references and academic credentials. Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills; Superior negotiation and legal drafting skills and unyielding attention to detail.
Well established relationships within the entertainment, business affairs and legal communities; Ability to prioritize and manage time, with exceptional organizational skills and a facility with handling a constant stream of high-priority projects; Superior analytical skills; Ability to independently exercise sound judgment, make sound decisions, and perform under minimal supervision on a daily basis; Strong initiative to take on tasks and set own priorities and deadlines and put forth the maximum effort; Ability to excel under pressure in a demanding, fast-paced, results-oriented work environment.
Ability to build effective working relationships within and outside the Company. Exceptional interpersonal skills needed to maintain credibility and effective working relationships with high level internal and external contacts.